Thursday, June 6, 2019

Seek Unconventional Teachers

Seek Unconventional Teachers
Conductors who are relatively inexperienced need to pay much attention to developing a disciplined
style of beat patterns. Whether the source of information comes from books or from mentors,
conductors who are developing their craft should practice disciplined beat patterns for all meter,
dynamic, and tempo situations. There is no substitute for the improvement that can take place
when practicing in front of a mirror.


As a conductor gains experience, however, there is much to be gained by seeking unconventional
teachers to influence one’s own conducting style. Gerben Grooten, University of Pretoria, shared
an example with me from his own experience where his depth of understanding as a conductor
was transformed by an interaction with groups of people over several months.

In my own development, unconventional teachers are life experiences. For example, when I canoe
in the wilderness, I learn about synchronicity, wind (time flow), and pacing.  When I play tennis I learn
about anticipation, balance, and assertive contact. When I care for grandchildren, I learn about
flexibility, joy in the moment, and curiosity. When I photograph, I learn about depth of field
(texture layers), contrast, and composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment